The Mediterranean used to be an important sea route for western seafarers of the ancient world. Trade and culture were exchanged around this region for centuries. World War I has made it a major scene for its naval battles. Nowadays, the Mediterranean is a major tourist destination.
Yachts, catamarans, sail boats, and ferry boats of all shapes and sizes can be seen gliding the famous blue waters. People seeking sun, sea, and sand come to the islands of the Mediterranean. The locals then welcome these visitors with a thriving tourism industry. Transportation and accommodations are easy to come by, here.
To make it easy on tourists, these services can be booked online. Also to be found online are other important details for traveling the islands. These include an island’s unique culture, language, cuisine, and tour sites. Significantly, there is also information on currencies, exchange rates, ferry services, tariff and other fees.
An informed traveler will get the utmost enjoyment from his trip. A brief and hasty tour without any background will just let interesting bits of information pass by. Snippets of potential interest to the tourist would be:
• That the Mediterranean region straddles 3 major continents. These are the continents of Asia, Europe, and Africa. This is what causes the interesting mix of cultures in the area.
• That the Strait of Gibraltar was also the Pillars of Hercules in ancient times. This pertains to one of the twelve labors in Greek mythology. The strait separates Spain from Morocco and connects the Mediterranean Sea to the Atlantic Ocean.
• That geologically speaking, the Mediterranean Sea classifies as an ocean. This is due to its oceanic crust underneath the blue waters.
• The Mediterranean Sea’s waters are blue while the Atlantic Ocean is green.
• It is said that 5.96 million years ago, the Mediterranean Sea evaporated and dried up. Scientists call it the Messinian Salinity Crisis.
• Saint-Tropez, a place in the French Riviera, was an artist’s haven and was popularized by French movie star and now animal rights activist Briggitte Bardot.
• Old cultures in this region include the Mesopotamian culture, the Egyptian culture, the Phoenician culture, the Carthaginian culture, the Greek culture, the Levantine culture, the Roman culture, the Moorish culture and the Turkish culture.
• The Mediterranean diet is purported to be very healthy. It is even recommended by some nutritionists. It pertains to a diet of fruits and vegetables, legumes, olive oil, with moderate amounts of fish, poultry, cheese, yoghurt, wine, and very low consumption of eggs, red meat, and meat products.